Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Ouch

Whenever I accidentally hurt Noam, the most unusual thing happens. He comes rushing over to me, hugs me and doesn't want me to let him go.

I've often thought about this bizarre occurrence because really, if you think about it, it's the opposite of what adults do isn't it?

When someone hurts us, intentionally or not, we run away from them! We get angry at them, assume the worst and run the other way drowning ourselves in our own self pity.

What if we could learn from our children that the secret to healthy communication, with our friends, spouse even with God, is not to run away. What if we could learn from this that the reality is the people in our lives don't really want to hurt us they want what's best for us and we should embrace it. Even if it means swallowing up our own ego and running towards them with open, vulnerable arms.

The embrace is enough to leave us realizing and really feeling that the best remedy for our pain is to run towards the ones we love, and allow them to love us.

Perhaps along the way adults learn to stop trusting each other?

The guy trusts me because my track record with him is perfect so he knows he can always trust me. He may still come to me with a confused look like why did that happen but the bottom line is, he comes to me instead of running away.

Perhaps we need to figure out how to learn to trust again?

No comments:

Post a Comment