Monday, January 11, 2010

SWITCH

Today I developed carpel tunnel syndrome, and it wasn't from my children.

I spent a considerable amount of time today driving around the city from one meeting to the next, all the while flipping through the radio stations trying to find some decent music to keep me company on my various journeys.

I learned a lot of valuable lessons today, besides from the fact that the radio stations are nearly devoid of any worthwhile content.

Now, occasionally you may land on a station with some quirky french music that is somewhat soothing. Perhaps a good classical piece or great beach tune like Bob Marley's 'Everything is going to be alright" that somehow transports you from the slushy, snow covered roads to the beaches of a remote, secluded Island. You're even more lucky if you stumble upon a station playing something like 'The Name Game Song' by Shirley Ellis and then you've miraculously figured out how to do the twist and other intricate moves that would be more appropriate in a pleated, poodle skirt rather than in the confines of your seat belt with winter coat on.

And this is where I developed carpel tunnel. For the entire drive, every time a good song came on I immediately and somewhat instinctively switched the station in hopes of finding something better. My finger was practically glued to the button. Ouch. I did this for the duration of the drive, switching again and again.

"Oh, an oldy and a goody, but maybe there's better."

SWITCH

"Classical! Yes this is the kind of driving music I need, but what if there's some good Jazz on?"

SWITCH

"Okay I found it, a French song, great I have no idea what he's saying and the rhythm is great, but what if there's something else?"

SWITCH

And that was it. I arrived at my destination only to realize that the entire ride there, instead of enjoying the music, I was in search of something better and ended up with nothing to show for it.

Isn't that how things look in our lives sometimes?

We get so caught up in the obsession to find the best, the perfect, the flawless that we sometimes don't allow ourselves to enjoy the present. We are on a relentless pursuit of perfection sometimes that we don't stop to appreciate the fine details in the imperfect now that we're living in. And of course, only in those imperfections do we find true perfection.

So on the way home, I decided to put on a CD so as to limit the decision process and ease my carpel tunnel.

The next dilemma, was which CD to choose out of the 10 CD Disk Changer.

SWITCH!

No comments:

Post a Comment